Community Presbyterian Church was formed by a strong group of believers who met at a Masonic Building in Newport News in 1957 and became part of the Norfolk Presbytery (now known as Presbytery of Eastern Virginia) in 1958. This group purchased six acres of land at the corner of Fox Hill Road and Woodland Road. and dedicated the present building on Jan.17,1960.
The church continued to grow and in March,1966, the second unit of the building was dedicated. In order to continue the Outreach Ministries of feeding the hungry, a new commercial kitchen was added in 2007.
The church was blessed by the opening of Community Presbyterian Church Preschool in Sept., 1993.
Community Presbyterian Church and LaCrosse Presbyterian Church on Mallory Street voted to become yoked on Oct. 16, 2011.